Sunday 1 April 2012

March Overview/ Month Ahead


Yet another quiet month. My book stats are dropping. I have had essays and exams last month and have more this month. There was also a chunkster in there that I took my time with.

This month I read only 6 books;

1. Ghost Town - Rachel Caine
2. The Kraken Wakes - John Wyndham
3. Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea - Jules Verne
4. The Black Angel - John Connolly
5. The Three Musketeers - Alexandre Dumas
6. Eleanor of Aquitaine - Alison Weir (which I have still to review).

My favourite is the one that took me almost the full month to read - The Three Musketeers. Full of adventure but it had a more serious undertone in there too and in the end it was actually quite sad. My least favourite was The Black Angel but only because it was a little disappointing. Otherwise I enjoyed all of the books I read this month.

Challenge Overview


 I just managed to do my challenges this month although I did enjoy them. For the sci fi challenge I went with my own title rather than the group choice. I went for Wyndham's The Kraken Wakes. I love Wyndham and I this book did not disappoint. Just good classic sci fi. The group choice for this month is Hull Zero Three by Greg Bear. I've read him before and I do like him but I am trying not to buy any books this month. I might read Empire State by Adam Christopher instead.





 For this I read Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea by Jules Verne. There is now just one book on this list that won't be a re-read. I love Jules Verne. He's another author who can write a fantastic adventure story. Plus this book is the best Vintage Classics cover I have came across to date. I see me reading more of him in the future. Next up (and I started it last night) is a re-read and it's The Adventures of Tom Sawyer by Mark Twain. I loved this book when I read it the first time and I am loving it all over again.





 My favourite book for this month and also the largest and the longest time I have spent on a book. Which is of course The Three Musketeers by Alexandre Dumas. I already mentioned why I loved it so won't repeat myself. It's a bit surprising as growing up I avoided adventure books. Since I am reading Tom Sawyer for The League challenge I thought I would read The Adventure of Huckleberry Finn for this one. I haven't actually read it before so I am looking forward to it as it's supposed to be better than Tom Sawyer.





For the Mixing it Up Challenge I read for the history category. I picked Alison Weir as an author I had never read before and the book was Eleanor of Aquitaine. I enjoyed it but I'm not going to say too much about it as I have yet to review it. Next is the contemporary fiction category. Again not a challenge for me really since I love contemporary fiction so I will be reading an author new to me. I have picked out Freedom by Jonathan Franzen but I'm on the fence. That might change.


Out of all my plans for this month I did manage most of them. I have started Nick Harkaways Angelmaker but have still to get round to reading the third book of Murakami's 1Q84. I make no promises for this month.

I do expect my reading list to be slightly larger this month as I am taking part in Dewey's 24hour read-a-thon. I haven't yet made up my mind what I am going to be reading but I promise to post a pic as soon as I decide. I have a tentative list but keep swapping the books. The only one that has stayed is an Agatha Christie. Good old Poirot saw me right last time.

I've also set up a sponsor sheet for taking part. Money is going to Crohn's and Colitis Uk. So if anyone has any spare pennies and would like to sponsor me I won't say no :D http://www.justgiving.com/Karen-Sime1

How has everyone else's reading month been? How does your month ahead look? How are you getting on with your challenges?

6 comments:

  1. Well, I canceled the challenge I was hosting when nobody registered for it after three months.

    I'm doing well with the picture book challenge, albeit I'm mostly doing that so I can keep track of the books my granddaughter loves.

    As for my person reading challenge, I am definitely not doing as well as I have done with it in the past so I either have to pick up the reading pace or be prepared to get rid of fifteen books unread. Eep!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry you had to cancel your challenge. I had signed up for too many by the time I saw it sadly.

      I love picture books. Especially those by Oliver Jeffers. When I worked in a book store I used to love seeing the new ones coming in. I think just about all the staff did. We all had our favourites. Room On The Broom is one of my favourites. I even have a signed copy.

      Would be a shame if you had to get rid of those 15 books. Hope it doesn't come to that. Sometimes I wish we had an extra day in the week just for reading.

      Delete
  2. God, I have only read 9 books in the whole of 2012 yet, so you make me feel extremely self-conscious right now ;)
    My only comfort is that I will be able to catch up during nine weeks of summer break.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry! I am slowing down though so I am sure you will catch up. I just had a very good January because I had so much time off. Plus I read on the bus into uni. I don't blame you for looking forward to those nine weeks of summer. Us poor nursing students only get three as we have one extra term than everyone else.

      Delete
  3. A great list of books you've managed to read this month! I'm really looking forward to reading Jules Verne in the next month or so for the same challenge, I've only heard good/great things!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kayleigh. The Jules Verne really is a good one. Dracula will always be my favourite of the bunch but the Verne comes close.

      Delete