Friday 2 March 2012

February Overview/ Month Ahead

This has been a quieter month for me in terms of reading. I did predict it would be. Still a lot of books that I enjoyed. Plus I am almost half way to my goal for this year. Still considering upping that. Here's my list;

1. The Bell - Iris Murdoch
2. Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? - Philip K. Dick
3. The Woods - Harlan Coben
4. Dracula - Bram Stoker
5. Dreamcatcher - Stephen King
6. Fatal Voyage - Kathy Reichs
7. Grave Secrets - Kathy Reichs
8. The Book of Dave - Will Self.

Choosing my favourite from this list is actually quite difficult. I am going to go with The Book of Dave though. It was probably the most unusual out of the lot (I've still to review it). My least favourite is easy - The Woods by Harlan Coben. I had so many problems with it and didn't particularly like the main character.

Challenge Overview

 For the classics challenge I read The Bell by Iris Murdoch. First time I have read any of her books and it certainly won't be the last. I absolutely loved it and loved her well rounded characters. Which was great since the prompt for February was character. I did mine on the first character to appear in the book which you can read here if you are interested. Next up for this challenge is The Three Muskateers by Alexander Dumas. I haven't had a chance to read much of it yet but I am liking it so far.
 Dracula by Bram stoker was the book I read for this challenge in February. This was the first of the re-reads from this list. I love Dracula. I was looking forward to reading it again and I enjoyed re-discovering all the things I loved about it the first time round. I highly recommend it. Next up is Twenty Thousand Leagues Under The Sea by Jules Verne. I am looking forward to it as I read Around the World In 80 Days last year and very much enjoyed it. It was a great adventure story. Plus my edition has a fantastic cover.
 February's group choice was Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep by Philip K. Dick. I decided to read this rather than one of my own choosing because I have been meaning to read it for a long time. It is probably the Best Philip K. Dick book I have ever read. Was great just reading a classic sci fi for a change. The book choice for this month is Oryx and Crake by Margaret Atwood. I LOVE Atwood but I am going to give it a miss. I want to read some of my back log and so I am going to read The Kraken Wakes by John Wyndham. Love that author too.
I didn't read anything for this in February as I had already read the biography choice in January. This months category is history which I have always enjoyed. Still going with authors I have never read before to try and get out of my comfort zone. Not that hard with the history category. I have picked Eleanor of Aquitaine by Alison Weir. I have been wanting to read a biography on her since reading She Wolves last year. Mind you if I really wanted to go out of my comfort zone I should have maybe stayed away from the royals.

That's it for my plans for this month. I hope to read Nick Harkaway's new book and the last of 1Q84 by Haruki Murakami. We'll see though as The Three Muskateers is a bit of a chunkster and history books usually take me a little longer to read.

How was February for you? Any favourite books discovered?

No comments:

Post a Comment