Sunday 12 February 2012

It's Monday! What Are You Reading?


This is a book meme hosted by Sheila of Book Journey. A fun way for everyone to share their reading week.

As predicted my reading slowed down. Not sure if it was more to do with savouring rather than being busy as my only book last week was a good one.

This week I read;


Dracula by Bram Stoker. I read this as part of the League of Extraordinary Gentlemen challenge. This is one of my re-reads for the challenge. A good one too as I loved this back when I was a young teen. Despite the time between readings it was so familiar and welcoming. An odd way to describe a horror, I know.

I am now reading;


Dreamcatcher by Stephen King. After my indecision last week I decided to stick with the horror theme and read one of the books that has been sitting on my tbr shelf the longest. I think I have owned this since it came out in paperback which would be about 2001/02. I was initially going to go with one of the few YA that survived my book cull but the one I had my heart set on turned out to be book 3 (don't you hate it when that happens?). I am about 1/3 of the way through and enjoying it so far. I don't know why I left it so long since I have read a fair number of King books in that period.

Next I plan to read;


The Book of Dave by Will Self. This was one of my possibles from last week and someone said I should go with this as it's amazing. By the time I saw the comment though I had already started Dreamcatcher. So I will read it after that. Looking forward to it as I have heard lots of good things.

I have read this months quota of challenge reads so I am now working my way through some of my tbr. I did go book shopping the other day though so will post an update on that later in the week (not as big a spree as January).

What have you been reading/buying?

19 comments:

  1. Bram Stoker's novel is hugely enjoyable - deserves its classic status.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, I don't think I could every tire of reading it.

      Delete
  2. Sound like great books! I haven't checked my challenge reads for this month yet, but I have finished the review books already. It's nice when you can just read whatever you like, isn't it?

    Happy reading!

    My Monday is here: http://leeswammes.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely, although I did feel a bit lost last week when I was unsure what to choose next. Problem might be I have too many to choose from.

      Delete
  3. I really liked Dreamcatcher - I plan to re-read a few of King's books later this year. And love the cover for The Book of Dave!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am enjoying it but I don't think it is his best. One of his more stomach churning mind you.

      I love the cover for The Book of Dave too. It's one of the Penguin Ink series designed by a tattoo artist.

      Delete
  4. I have a Stephen King "horror" on my TBR shelves, too; it's also a chunkster, so when I read it, I'll be satisfying aspects of two challenges.

    Why am I dreading it? lol

    Enjoy your week.

    Here's MY MONDAY MEMES POST -

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never used to find chunksters intimidating. Maybe because I have read so many by King. It's been so long since I have read any chunksters though I find myself putting them off.

      Delete
  5. Dracula and Dreamcatcher . . . nice week!

    New follower. Check out my reads here

    ReplyDelete
  6. I still haven't ever read Bram Stoker's Dracula. I really need to!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You have a great mix here. One of my professors in grad school was completely literarily smitten with Will Self. And I love the cover. Need to try some of his work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not fan of Will Self as a person (seen him on a lot of tv shows, he thinks he's funny) but I am looking forward to reading his books. He's got quite a big fan base and friends would always recommend him.

      Delete
  8. The cover for the Book of Dave looks crazy! I hope you enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's great isn't it? It was designed by a tattoo artist for the Penguin Ink series.

      Delete
  9. Dreamcatcher is not my favorite of King's work, but I hope you enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's turning out to not be one of my favourites either but I am still enjoying it.

      Delete