Tuesday 29 March 2011

RIP Diana Wynne Jones


Yesterday I sadly found out that Children's author, Diana Wynne Jones, lost her battle with cancer and passed away on Saturday. I actually didn't know she was sick so it came as a bit of a surprise that she had passed away. In my head she was still writing away. She is one of those children's authors I discovered too late to enjoy as a child. In fact it was only a few years ago I read my first one, "Merlin Conspiracy". Despite the YA field being inundated with magic and fantasy at the time I read this it still stood out amongst the rest. I've since went on to read what is probably her most well known book "Howls Moving Castle". I loved it and I have always meant to read others but as always wanting to try new authors and new books took precedence. Why did they stand out? Well, her writing style, her characters as well as her plots all seemed unique despite the popular genre. Whilst her books were intended for children it didn't actually feel like she was trying to write for children. She assumed children are intelligent and in no way patronises them. I found myself wishing I was enjoying her books as a child. To me that's a sign of a fantastic Children's author.


She will be sadly missed. If you haven't read her books go out and buy one this week. I plan on it.

No comments:

Post a Comment